Saturday, February 13, 2010

Reader Question

The other day, as we were just coming back from a break in class, I saw that my sister was calling. After debating whether or not to take it, I decided not, but did worry whether it was something important.

After class, I saw that not only did she call, but I had also missed a call from my parents, and there was now a voicemail marked "URGENT". Of course, panic struck, and I barely made it out of the room before I was accessing my messages.

And of course, this dire emergency was not a death in the family, was not a serious injury or illness, and was not anything other than:

"OMG! FASHION EMERGENCY!".

Thanks, Deb.

However, my darling sister did provide me with substance for this entry. While I don't profess to be any form of expert (and my sister is very emphatic on ensuring that I don't believe myself to be one), I thought I'd at least put my teaching degree to use.

Reader Question:
I've seen pictures of people wearing cardigan sweaters and belts, and I've never been sure how to style it. What size of belt should I use?

Ultimately, the thickness of belt is determined by the thickness of the sweater. If it's a thicker sweater, go with a thicker belt, to maintain the scale. However, if it's a finer knit, go wild! When I started to mix belts and cardigans, I went primarily with a thinner belt:
 


However, I have made use of larger belts as well (I've included other sweaters, such as wraps, as well, for illustration):
 
 And, of course, there is also the option of "belt-alternatives" such as ribbons or scarves



As for whether to button or unbotton, that's entirely up to you, and the look you want... Lately, I've had more luck with unbottoned:

Thanks for the question, Deb!

3 comments:

  1. Great post - I am a big fan of the belt over look. Love the last pic best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that I like the skinny belt the least, which validates my wide-belt decision, thanks! I feel so famous :S
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you going to join the Spring Capsule Wardrobe Challenge?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think!