Katy set up this set of questions for this week's friend Friday
1. What are the 'unwritten rules' about copying content that we bloggers should all abide by?
I think a good rule of thumb is: "if all else fails, attribute it!". Whether it's inspiration for an outfit, a quirky colour combination or anything, it's polite, respectful and creates a great network between bloggers!
2. They say imitation is the highest form of flattery. But when is a post imitation and when is it copying?
A post is copying when they are taking a large portion of another post without either making it their own, attributing it to the blogger, or even asking the bloggers' permission.
3. Taking another blogger's idea (perhaps for an outfit, or DIY tutorial) is pretty common in the blogging world. Do you think it is necessary to credit the original source?
Always. Maybe it's my academic training, but taking credit for someone else's work is 100% wrong in my book.
4. How have you improved your blog by comparing it to other blogs? Have you made changes due to something you have seen others doing?
I laughed when I read this: after all, it was only a few days ago, I asked for input on picture locations/poses after coveting other people's photographers/locations
5. Have you ever had one of your posts copied by another blogger or publication? How did you handle the situation?
Good grief no! My little blog still has a long way to go in this world! I really can't say how I'd react, but I will admit, whenever I see a weird referrer in my tracker, I do always fear that someone is using my blog for mockery.
My sincerest apologies to Katy - I can't seem to keep her and Kendi straight in my head - I blame the fact I'm not blogging on my usual computer, the 30 for 30 remix and my inability to remember anyone's name that I meet in person or online!