Friday, November 12, 2010

Friend Friday - Nov 12, 2010

Thanks again to Katy for setting this up!! She said:
Since many of you are participating in the 30 for 30 challenge you might have noticed a trend... more readers and more comments. But of those additional comments have you noticed that at least a handful of them are the generic spam-like 'nice outfit' 'cute shoes' etc... Don't get me wrong I like comments but what's up with that? The thought about this hadn't fully formed in my head until this morning when I read this post on Dressful (http://dressful.com/2465/ fashion-blogs-and-self-promotion-how-much-is-too-much) about blogger self promotion. When is it too much? When are you doing it wrong? Of course that flipped my brain into overdrive and FBFF questions rolled out from there.

Here are my thoughts, based on her topics

Topic: Blogger Self Promotion
1. How do you promote your blog?
I can't say I really promote my blog that much.  I tried adding a link to the comments I post on other blogs, but ultimately, I'm there to see what they say, not tell them what I say.


2. In your experience what has been the most effective form of self promotion?
I think having good outfits, and good writing  are the best way to gain followers. However, you can't deny the the influence of challenges like the 30 for 30 to introduce bloggers to each other!

3. Do you think there is a wrong way to promote yourself and your blog?
I do somewhat agree with the irritation of the "Nice Shoes" followed by "Check out my site" comments.  However, I also know it's difficult being a shy blogger starting out. 

4. When is comes to others pushing their product what annoys you?
I can't say I follow any blogs where it annoys me - of course, maybe I subconsciously only choose blog which don't overly promote a product.

5. In Dressful's post on this topic earlier in the week she said, "It's impossible to respect someone who wants all the attention, but adds nothing worthwhile to the conversation." Do you agree?
I think I'd need an example in order to actually create an answer for this one.  Is the issue that they want all the attention, or is the issue that they don't add anything worthwhile?  These are two separate problems.  If it's the former, I can't say I've really seen too too much of that.  If it's the latter, might it be a case of them just not finding the right conversation in which to insert themselves? Is it that they have evolved differently on their fashion path than others?  Is it that they haven't evolved at all? 

I will add this - I do like knowing who is visiting my blog, and I do like to check out their blogs to find out more about them.  As long as I can get to their blog through their profile, I'm happy.  And I think I'd much rather have 500 "Nice Shoes - Check out my blog" than even one: "You're ugly"... so I'll just be thankful for any positive comments I do get!



4 comments:

  1. It's a hard balance for sure. I've had Byhillary 8 years and there has been times I felt like I'd tell anyone who would listen and like now I don't tell many people I know. Also when you get offers to promote sometimes it's hard to resist the money. I can say I know I do turn down a good chunk of stuff not inline with my style or I don't really want that kind of promotion. I also didnt get offers oh the first 7.5 years! I hate the visit my blog comments. I mean I honestly appreciate the time someone takes but the ones where they literally only comment to link you. Those.

    I myself am a terrible commenter because I'm shy and feel like
    I'm trying to sit at a table I wasn't invited to. Know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreeing with Hillary, I hate those drop comment blogs. I try to genuinely say if I like something.. I know tone, internet, etc.. but I do try to let people know "Hey I'm commenting because I really do like this outfit/your style".

    I'm also with you on the negative comments - I'd rather have zero comments than negative ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a tough line, wanting others to come see your blog and comment, but also not wanting to seem greedy about getting followers. When I started my blog in '08, I sent the link out to all of my real-life friends (most of whom visited once, then never again!). I kept on commenting on my favourite sites (like Kasmira's), and then I noticed that people had seen my comments there and were coming to check out my blog! It was so exciting! I remember how freaked out I was when I had 20 followers!

    Everytime I got a comment, I'd go look and see if they had a blog, and I'd check it out, and leave a comment on one of their posts, thanking them for visiting my blog (as well as saying something nice about their post). It's taken me a long time to get to where I am now, but I feel like I've earned every one of the followers I have. They're all quality people.

    I also try to post what I would like to read - I like to let a bit of my life out in my writing, so that it's not just "oh, look at my clothes". I think that makes a difference, so that readers can see who you are, that you're a real person. I can't say that I've ever had a mean or negative comment (well, there was one that I took the wrong way).

    I hate those "here's my blog" link - come on, at least make the effort to pretend you like my blog!

    Sorry for the ramble!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your answers to this!! I really like #5. I think the people posting "nice shoes, follow me" comments are just interacting in the way they know, and while it can be frustrating, I mostly think its harmless. And while I know I sometimes post short comments, I really do try to read posts, and its hard to find a pair of shoes I don't like! Well, okay, there *are* some shoes I don't like! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think!