Friday, January 14, 2011

Friend Friday - Getting my Organized Freak On

 My apologies if I come across snarky today.  I woke up on the wrong side of the bed, and despite purposely rolling back and sleeping some more, I just can't up my attitude.  I'm itching for change. I'm sure you've all had that!  The difficulties I've had accepting the fact I'm living in this city, rather than the city which has all my friends and family, had been subsiding until last night. It's amazing how one change to a group of friends can cause such a difference, to the point where we left early.  (OK, Scott did also work crazy early this morning)

Anyway, my trivia team "drama" need not distract me from the task at hand, so I apologize.  Katy's questions are right on my wavelength today.  I'm an obsessive planner of everything.  If a list, or spreadsheet can be made, I've already done it. It's highly ironic that I now admit it, as these are the characteristics that I used to bug my parents about when I was younger.  But don't tell them, k?

1. How do you determine what you will wear that day?
Every Sunday night, I sit down and plan outfits.  This process is essential for making sure I get dressed most days out of the week.  Left to my own devices, I would be in workout wear / pajamas all week.

2. Do you plan outfits out in advance for a whole week, month, weekend?
I generally do Monday-Friday, so long as I have no big weekend plans.  Chances are, one of those days I won’t get dressed, and then that outfit becomes Saturday’s.  Sundays are usually spend in pajamas.  I’m not a classy girl. 

3. Do you have any specific way of tracking outfits and items already worn so you don't repeat?
Ugh – this is one of my big pet peeves.  What’s so wrong about repeating?  If something works the first time, I consider it a good outfit that deserves to be worn again.  That said, I do have a fairly good memory in general, so if I don’t want to repeat, I don’t have to check the blog. 

4. How do you discover new combinations of items in your closet? (Trial try-ons?  Hanging items together?)
Since I make the list sitting on my couch in front of the TV, I pair items based on what I can remember from my closet.  With the exception of Tuesdays, the one day a week I work at the office (and catch a bus), I generally have time in the morning/afternoon/evening to try on my outfit for that day, and make any changes.  Any new ideas I have often come from other bloggers (though these days I haven’t really been looking for inspiration, though I’m sure it’s abundant.  Hmm... that’s a little weird). 

5. To streamline the process for 2011 what is one new thing you can do to cut down your dressing time?
It really doesn’t take me that long unless it’s a special occasion.  In less than ½ hour, I’ve got outfits for the week.  Except when I can’t find something, getting dressed takes seconds. If it sucks, no one sees it, so it's really liberating that way!

Don't forget to check out Katy's blog for a complete list of participants!

5 comments:

  1. Interesting you plan everything out on Sunday. Did you always do this or was it something you picked up when you starting fashion blogging? - Katy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the Sunday planning....and I think its totally fine to repeat outfits too!!

    Nice post, hope you are doing well:)

    Stop by and say Hello♥
    Enter my Lulus Giftcard Giveaway♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree 100 % on repeating. It's not even that fact that I have a real budget and can't afford always new clothes, but mostly that I have pieces I love and want to wear all the time. I love that you plan, it's so organized, but man I don't have the patience to at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about your drama! I can definitely sympathize to living someplace where you feel out of place. Ironically, for me its living near where I grew up. Anyway, I enjoyed reading your answers! I know for me, if a "special occasion" is coming up (i.e. I get to go actually go out...) I spend as much time planning the outfit as I have advance notice! The rest is just spending 10-30 minutes in front of my closet before I want to wear an outfit! I hope you have a wonderful weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a super planner! We can all take a lesson.
    (Want to know a secret? I started Saturday Slices to remind me to enjoy where we are living right now. I'd rather be in a city with old friends and family too, sometimes. But I need to remember that I'm in a GREAT city with lots to offer. Hence, the slices)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think!