Tuesday, January 25, 2011

I promise, these are stripes!!




I realize they look like squiggles, but that's what happens when you have a close together stripe and much higher resolution picture than your poor little brain (being computer/camera/whatever it really is that causes it) can handle!
I read that Breton stripes are considered any stripe that is horizontal, navy and white.  That would be this shirt.  The stripe also reads black, so it was fairly easy to throw this dress over top, à la a little pic from Hillary's collage.  In order to bring more blue back, I added the blue tights and the blue bow.  This poor little bow: I hated it with the sweater it came with, so it got thrown in my closet somewhere.  Then years later, I decided I needed a blue belt, and couldn't find it.  Finally, it surfaced, and it's taken me another year and a bit to wear it. 

Also, the blue legs were very apt:  my bus was 35 minutes late.  And of course, it was one of very few buses that travel our route that isn't tracked via GPS, so I ended up standing in the cold for far too long.  My blue legs really went well with my blue toes!  At least it wasn't a -40 day, just a balmy -9!!

13 comments:

  1. Oh, you poor thing. Standing out waiting for the bus in those temperatures! I would have gone crazy!
    I love your take on Breton Stripes. The summer dress for winter is too cute!

    The Auspicious Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this whole look! LOVE LOVE! The shape! The colour! Oh! I'm overly exuberant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! If I had a strapless dress, I would totally be copying this look. I'll keep it in mind in case I come across one while thrifting.

    I love the addition of blue. Royal blue and black is a favorite color combo.

    About that bus though! Brrr! Hope you thawed out okay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that is soo cool how you dressed this stripe up! I love it and I may copy it too!

    Btw, I did feel strong and courageous today, thank you!

    p.s. thank you for the kind words - it's so appreciated!

    Stay Happy and Positive!

    besos,

    ML


    20 YORK STREET

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cara, this is a fabulous outfit! I love the strapless dress over the striped top, and the blue tights are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute. One of my favorites of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my heavens...this is one of my FAVORITES! I love the bright pops of blue and layering a shirt underneath a strapless dress makes me super happy. You look fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love these colours on ya! And I consider those stripes so you're good! For me at least.
    Kiss
    Lula

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE the color of those tights.. really vibrant and they look so good with the stripes.... kudos on the outfit today!!! rock it babes xoxo J

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brrr! I hate when buses are late! The outfit is darling though :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I see your super cute stripes....love the outfit...and the great blue tights:)

    Stop by and say Hello:)
    Editor, The Fashion 411 Magazine♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. balmy -9 indeed. holy smokes. i think you're the first person i've seen who styled their stripes under a strapless, and i'm going to have to say: I.LOVE.IT. i love everything about this look. and the blue bow/belt couldn't be more perfect. fantastic!
    -brittney
    http://adayinlifetoo.blogspot.com (my daily outfit blog)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super cute!! I love the stripes! (And I learned something... now I know what a Breton stripe is. :) ). The belt is really cute too! Glad its been "rescued". I love the tights, and the shoes look really cute too! And your buses are tracked by GPS? Wow, so cool! Sorry about the "balmy" -9 though... :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think!