Monday, January 10, 2011

Staples and Paper Clips

I'm slowly developing this theory about wardrobes which encompasses staples (the items that are basic, but base pieces in outfits), paperclips (outfits that aren't staples, but must be in every closet for special occasions like interview outfits, funeral wear, and the every important party dress), and then rounding out the rest with the thumbtacks (the trendy pieces that get swapped out easily).

In any event, the general rule is that staples stick around during purges, because of their infinite use value.  I've been keeping these brown cords around because I consider them staples, but I think I've only worn them a couple times.  I just can't get inspired by them.  I have brown non-corduroy pants that get more use than them, and yet there is something classic about corduroy in winter.  For some reason, they seem dated to me, and I'm not quite sure why. 

Any thoughts on how to style these to make them more "now"?  Kill the bootcut/flare?  Or is the fact that they've stayed dormant in my drawers for so long a sign that it's their time to go?


Also - I've revived Cara the Crafty Cook blog.  In an attempt to re-connect myself with my body (we lost touch when it decided to mutate earlier this winter), I've decided to pay more attention to my body, particularly in regards to food.  This blog will track my adventures in simple, yet home-made items.  Watch for my post on tomato-free pasta sauce (using a beet base) tonight!

5 comments:

  1. you should read Micheal Pollen; Food Rules, or In Defence of Food, or Omnivore's Dilemma, or all three (start with In Defence) to totally jump on the preservative-free bandwagon :)
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look adorable. I love that little bolero on you and the green shirt is a great color.

    If you LIKE the cords and you still want to wear them on occassion, I say keep 'em.

    I'm going to check out your other blog now. I need a blog that will teach me how to cook! My ex-husband used to do all the cooking and I don't know a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. cordoroys are back; I did not get on the band wagon tho. These on you, make me regret not doing so! They really look great--and am pinning after that little bolero! LOVE boleros tho--can't live without them. And for me (old) they can hide bingo arms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a cute post title! Staples and paper clips! =)

    You are so adorable as always and I love that bolero on you!

    xox,

    ML

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hah, I love your staples, paperclips, and thumbtacks! (Although its strange to think about my own wardrobe in that light...) The pants are cute, and bootcut/flare is pretty flattering I think! (And besides, if you like something, who cares if its "dated"!) And your outfit is super cute!! I love the green top too! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think!