Monday, January 3, 2011

Is she here yet? Is she here yet?

When I was younger, and family would come to visit us, I would bounce around the front window in my parents' living room, awaiting that first spotting of their car.

I'd do the same thing today, if it wasn't for the fact that my "front window" is actually a set of patio doors onto a balcony, through which the cold Saskatchewan air blows.  Instead, I'm safely bouncing in my blanket on the couch.

Why the excitement?  My mom is coming to visit!  Yes, I realize I just spent close to 2 weeks living in her house, eating her food, and watching her cable.  But I suffer from Younger Sister Syndrome (always feeling like you're living in the shadow of someone), and so any time someone makes a trip to see me and only me, I feel like the very-most-specialest-person-in-the-world.

The best part?  She's showing up to take me shopping!  With my birthday being so close to Christmas, buying presents for me is usually a combination of so easy and so hard.  While there are still things on my Christmas list to choose from, everything is on sale, so suddenly a budget can go twice as far.  Rather than doing what used to happen (she'd buy a whole bunch of stuff, then I'd spend the next week returning and refining the selection) we're going shopping together!

Between the sadness of Christmas, the decided fall in the hierarchy of the family when my niece (and my parents' first grandchild) was born, and the fact I have yet to find a good shopping buddy in this city, this is a much needed trip to boost me up before fighting through the coldest months of winter. 

Shopping, of course as you all know, requires a more simple outfit.  I know that I'm looking for boots, so skinny jeans seemed like a natural option, since that is usually what I'd be pairing them with most often!  Here's hoping I find some that I like!!  The scarf (my favourite winter accessory) was part of a Christmas present from a friend:  pashminas and amaretto - she sure knows me!!

5 comments:

  1. Yes! Younger sister syndrome! I understand completely living in the shadow of my big sister and I also love it when people come to visit just me! I love the pashmina you're wearing too. What a great Christmas gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colors of your outfit. I hope you have a great time with your mom. I have 'only child syndrome' which means I'm infinitely impatient. Especially when waiting for the post delivery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colors in this outfit are great. I have always been a fan of orange and color is very complimenting on your skin tone. Thanks for sharing!


    xo,

    Molly Jane

    PS. Happy New Year! Hope you had a wonderful holiday season!:) Stop by and say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm a middle child, so i know all about younger sister syndrome! anyway, this color of orange is great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope your mom's visit went well!! (Heh... the thought of my mom taking me shopping... not in this universe...). I love your shopping outfit! Super cute! Oh, and as an only child... I can only imagine the frustrations of younger sister syndrome. Anyway, I hope you guys had fun! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think!