Friday, February 18, 2011

Capsule Wardrobe #5 & #6, Friend Friday: Body Image

Let's just pretend that I hadn't made you all jealous of my day yesterday. I think I've learned my lesson about bragging, as the day could have gone worse, but it probably would have destroyed me. But at least now I know what it feels like to have my tire come off while driving (and did I mention that this was during a white-out, while driving on ice? The fact that my car, my fellow city-dwellers and myself managed to get through that incident unscathed is really quite a miracle).

We did have some nice moments: we enjoyed registering for gifts, and in an act of serendipity, we got a call just before we were about to check into the hotel that our wedding rings had arrived.

Since we were having blizzard-like conditions, I didn't wear this outfit all day. I was in boots and jeans and hoodies and everything that would keep me warm. However, I did pull this outfit together for going out for supper. It definitely worked better than I had thought!



And today, when we went out for brunch before we returned to a chemical covered house (though it does mark the end of our bed-bug period), I threw this outfit together. Yes, same shirt, but hey, that's bound to happen during a capsule wardrobe challenge!



And now I'm in sweats and a hoodie, trying to pull my apartment into a sense of live-ability. My mom is coming out in a week to help me tackle the piles of garbage bags housing our super-wrinkled clothes, so next week might be back to limited outfit posts, but the end is so close I'm giddy as a school girl. Imagine: A closet full of clothes!!

And now for Friend Friday

1. Since you started blogging has your image of yourself changed?
I definitely feel more confident in my choice clothes, and more confident in dressing for the situation. I recognize that I do draw a lot of confidence from wearing something that makes me feel good.

2. Are you self-conscious about any aspect of yourself? If so, do you go out of your way to avoid it or do you post it/talk about it anyway?

There have been times I've commented that I have some what of a negative body image issue. I try not to post rants about how my stomach is a little too dough-y, or how my nose looks like it's taking over my face. Rather, I tend to bring it up whenever I'm trying to motivate myself to either change my attitude, or taking steps to work on those areas.

3. Based on how you are feeling now, what do you think the future holds in the evolution of your body
image?

I really think that body image is something that can't be changed over night. I know it's been 11 years since I was last happy with my stomach. I know it's been 20 years since I was happy with my nose. However, each year, I become a little more aware of how it affects me, and how I can change that. Hopefully in another 11 or 20 years, I'll be completely at peace, but I also know that as I age, I”ll find new ways to nit-pick.

4. Do you photograph yourself for your blog? If so, how do you feel about the experience when you're having your picture taken? If you choose not to post pictures of yourself, what prompted that decision?

I am very self-conscious when pictures are being taken. Scott couldn't be present for the longest time when I took outfit pictures. Now slowly, I'm getting used to him being around, and even get him to take the pictures from time to time.

5. What would you want every person who struggles with body image to take to heart?
Everyone has parts of their body that make them uncomfortable. Even those who claim to have no issues have at some time thought “Oh, I'm too fat” or “Oh, I'm too thin” or something like that. I'm not convinced this is one of those : “Fake it until you Make it” situations (nothing annoys me more than people being overly open about how much they love their bodies – it usually comes across as fake), but it is something that, on a daily basis, takes work to improve, and eventually, whether or not your body changes, your attitude towards it will!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining us with the capsule challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look so gorgeous in the first picture! Well, you're always beautiful, but in that one you're like super dee duper beautiful. I love that skirt to pieces, and I think after this capsule challenge you need to bust it out all the time still.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so pretty! And great answers as usual. It drives me crazy when people excessively compliment themselves on their body parts too, it really does come across as fake. One of my co-workers does that and it makes me feel bad for her, like she really feels the complete opposite of what she's saying. You're right, it takes work but we'll get there some day!

    Come take a look inside A Working Mom's Closet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those outfits are great! I LOVE the skirt in the first one!! Super cute! And I have definitely found my feelings about my own body image have changed since starting my blog. I find it a little complicated to talk about, so rather than leave you a novel, I will say that I very much appreciated reading your answers! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think!