Friday, February 4, 2011

Friend Friday - Uniquely Yours

Yeah!  Friend Friday doesn't require outfit posts! My Red for Heart Disease Awareness shirt is in Scott's car, otherwise I'd actually get dressed!  Check later on in the day for it!

First of all - thank you to all of you who sent tweets and comments regarding my pictorial disappearance as of late.  I'll be catching up on your blog today, and will be able to stay up to date with them from now on (except when I spend some quality time with my sister and niece in a few days!!!!). As soon as I am able to look back at this still-ongoing-ordeal with a sense of humour, I'll fill you in on my recent activities.  In the mean time, both my family and I are doing well, and nothing grave or dire has really happened. If I had to choose a word to describe it, I would go with : "inconvenient".

Anyway, back on to Friend Friday.  I'm guessing the love-hate relationship (and conversation) about 30x30 inspired Katy this week.  I'm 100% behind all of you who are doing it, even if I'm sitting out this round.  However, it definitely was a timely set of questions, as these were circulating through my mind this week too!


1. With all the blogging events out there how do you determine which ones to participate in and which ones to avoid?

I use three criteria to determine whether I participate in a “blogging event”
a) Merit – What can I/my readers learn from it? Is is new or different from others out there?
b) Schedule – Is it a day or a month? Do I have anything planned for that month that would interfere?
c) Blogger – Who is organizing it? Do they support my blog? Do I enjoy theirs?
I don't insist a challenge has to win on each criteria, it just helps to clarify my interests

2. Be honest, have you ever jumped on the bandwagon of some blogging movement/event for the wrong reasons? How did that turn out?

I can't say I have, at least not that I've realized. There are always times where I get a little bored of the blogging event, or overwhelmed at the mass number of them. However, I've never regretted doing one!


3. How do you give your own flair to a blog event while still maintaining the general mission and purpose?

I'll often add my own little mini-challenges to them, such as styling a particular dress a different way each week, or pushing the challenge to the next level for a little bit (I made a mini-capsule wardrobe out of my 30x30 items for a trip home). However, I think the “flair” my blog has is ultimately “me” and I'm still “me” regardless of whether I'm dressing for me or dressing for a challenge.

4. When determining the best content for your blog what criterion do you keep in mind?

I think this is a highly relevant question for me right now! I recently got my first sponsorship offer from a company with which I'm not familiar. While it was a pretty great offer (and they even accepted my counter-offer), I ultimately decided that it didn't fit my blog right now, as I don't want to be representing something I haven't really experienced. I think in the end, it's still a win-win for me and the company: I have a better idea of what I'm looking for right now (hello, independent retail operations including Etsy shops that I've had experience with!!!), and I've got another company that I will try out – without feeling like I owe them anything.

As for non-sponsorship related material, the criteria is much the same as in question one.

5. While everything will not suit your blog, how do you try and support your fellow bloggers who are participating in something worthwhile but not your style?

I do feel guilty when I'm not participating in every event that crosses my Reader. In fact, I feel unbelievably guilty that I'm not doing the 30x30 right now (but since outfit blogging has to take a hiatus right now, I'm somewhat relieved!!). However, I find I'm more freely offering encouragement when I'm an outsider to the challenge. I've even offered suggestions for unexpected outfits to a few bloggers – hopefully they find those helpful and not annoying!

2 comments:

  1. You're back! Well, for a little post at least. Is it bad that I am so curious what is happening? Since you said everyone is safe and well, it's not that bad right?
    I'm totally with you on the who is putting on the event thing. Some bloggers have not been very nice to other folks, and I do not sign up for their things. Others seems great and I am happy to support!

    The Auspicious Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely enjoyed reading your answers. I like your criteria for deciding whether to participate or not. I think I have a similar set of questions I ask myself as well. And time is certainly the number one reason my participation gets squashed. I hope everything works out with the other thing that's going on! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think!