Sunday, February 27, 2011

I woke up this morning later than I'd intended.  I thought: "I'm not feeling 100%, maybe I'll skip church this morning," and as I sat down on the couch to watch tv, I grabbed my netbook and realized that the minister had emailed me early that morning. While it was just a follow up to an email I'd sent earlier in the week, and not asking me to do anything, I still felt an obligation to go to church.  Let me tell you, with 30 minutes to get ready and make sure that my car would start (it's been bitterly cold here), I have never been so glad that my closet is back to normal, everything was clean, and without a wrinkle in sight. 

It was overwhelming to throw together an outfit, so I drew inspiration from Mel's outfit the other day: wearing a skirt as a shirt.  As strange as it seems, I find church is an excellent time to try out fits ideas - sure, it would be bad if there is a modesty issue, but it's a short enough time period that if it doesn't work, you don't suffer all day. Plus, there is so much "Stand up, Sit down, Kneel, Stand up, Sit down, Kneel" you'll figure out it's pitfalls pretty quickly.

I discovered if I want to do the skirt-as-shirt I either need a couple safety pins or a bigger chest.  There were no "wardrobe malfunctions" but I was paranoid about slippage the whole time!

4 comments:

  1. If you decide to do it again, you could always pin "straps" on so you don't have to worry about losing it. But seriously that makes a great top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This skirt makes such a cute top! I love this outfit idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've wondered about the practicality of wearing a skirt as a top...how IS it supposed to stay up? That said, it looks great and I'm glad you didn't flash any grandmas at church.

    The Auspicious Life

    ReplyDelete
  4. How awesome! Super cute and creative! Heh, and I was reminded of times I've visited churches in the "Stand up, Sit down, Kneel, Stand up, Sit down, Kneel" tradition. (Um, I'm nominally not in one of those denominations. But I've always enjoyed visiting friends and churches who are in that "style"... :) ).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think!