Friday, February 4, 2011

Red For Women

Some causes cross borders, so while the American Heart Association may use red as the colour of their campaign to raise awareness of heart disease in women, I feel no sense of treason as a Canadian joining in this Red for Women blog challenge!

I was at Walmart yesterday grabbing garbage bags when I saw this sweater.  Needing SOMETHING to get me through the weekend (not just in terms of clothing, but also in terms of mental comfort), I grabbed it, for all of $9. Since I shrunk/felted 3 sweaters (one might be salvageable), I figured I could handle a $9 sweater.

And because my parents are awesome, and know life is kind of insane right now, they've put us up in a hotel for a couple nights.  Now I'm starting to chill out a bit, and definitely had some great R&R in the hot tub. It's our last night here so we're somewhere between bored (we feel that if we're in a hotel we're on vacation and should be seeing the sights), and exhausted, so I'm pretty sure we'll grab a drink in the lounge, then go to bed, because we are, after all, rockstars, and it is almost 7:30.

For more information about Go Red For Women and fashion blogging, check out What Andie Wears.  If you missed out on the official Go Red for Women Day, don't worry, she's extending the challenge to every Friday in February

5 comments:

  1. Cute red sweater, especially for $9!

    Were the sweaters wool? I've learned a few tricks to washing wool things. Water temperature doesn't matter that much. Soak in dawn soap for 10-15 minutes. Don't agitate or swish them. Just push down to make sure it's all in the water. Swishing is what makes things felt.

    Pull the sweater(s) out, fill up sink/tub/pan/whathave you with plain water. Let soak. Don't wring, don't swish. I usually do this once or twice.

    Then one last time I fill up the container with plain water and a splash of apple cider vinegar. This gets rid of any leftover smells and conditions the wool fibers. The vinegar smell will go away once it's dry. Make sure not to wring the sweater out. I usually set it in a collander for a few minutes then roll into a towel, then lay flat on another towel.

    Wow that was really long and involved. But following the above I've yet to take any sweater or wool pants to the dry cleaners, and my itchiest sweater is actually super soft now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That red sweater is gorgeous on you! Quite the steal for only 9 bucks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great red sweater!
    I'm glad you have been able to relax a bit at your hotel. Sounds like you have had a lot going on.

    The Auspicious Life

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look awesome! Red is such a great color on you.

    What great parents to do that for you. I hope life starts to settle down soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your outfit and the cause is definitely a great one that does cross borders! Sorry to hear about the situation, whatever it is! At least the hotel has a hot tub!!! And it can be fun to stay in a hotel every now and then! I hope everything works out! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think!