Thursday, March 3, 2011

I can do it... I can do it...

The windchill has been hovering between -40 and -30 for days now. I've bailed on plans simply to avoid bundling up. Today, I can't avoid it. I need a new stack of books from the library, and to drop off some paperwork for a conference next weekend. It's days like these when I wish "warm" and "comfortable" didn't mean jeans and a hoodie. How is it that my "warm and comfortable" at home is so much more chic than my "warm and comfortable" going outside look?

Dressing for this kind of temperature should be second hat to me by now after nearly 30 years in the prairies. Even with the increased wind characteristic of my current geographical locale (even when it's calm there's enough wind to mess up your hair), this is my second winter in the province. I have no choice but to blame my current working-from-home situation: it has turned me into a wuss.

Making getting dressed even harder is the fact that my wool sweaters shrank during the great laundry expedition of last month. While 2 were shrank beyond repair, the one that remains in my wardrobe is a touch too small to layer under.

And this post just keeps getting longer because I know as soon as I finish writing it, I will actually have to go and choose something to wear.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, man, your weather sucks, Cara! I hope it gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brr! Stay warm. I don't know how people in New York or Chicago survive- much less Canada! I'm sticking to my Southern heat. You could always come visit the US. =D It was 70F here today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally think you should stay home and pay someone to run errands for you. That's what I think.

    The other option is for you to come visit. I like that idea too. :)

    Come take a look inside A Working Mom's Closet

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have made the post 4 pages long if I knew I'd have to go out in that weather once I finished it.
    You amaze me! I hope the weather turns for you soon. Of course, if you don't mind the rain, you can always come to Portland!

    The Auspicious Life

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, this is beautiful!!
    I love it!! ♥
    xx

    Henar
    ..OH MY VOGUE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness. That is just bone-chilling. I would have no motivation to do anything, so I feel ya! When do you start warming up??

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know exactly what you mean babe! But seriously, until now, I still can't dress up warm enough!

    Love that pose!

    besos,

    ML

    Join the Easiest Blog Project Ever at:

    Twenty York Street

    Twenty York Street

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think there is anything "wuss"-like about not wanting to leave the house in that weather. I am completely honest, when I say I have no idea how you and your neighbors do it. I can't even imagine what your winters are like. (I'm ashamed to admit temperatures that would make me not want to leave the house...). So I have complete respect for any attempts to leave the house! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think!