Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Breaking the code for EBEW

For those of you who made their way over from Melissa's blog where I guest posted yesterday, welcome! It was a fabulous experience and the fact that you thought I was fun/weird/crazy enough for you to come by here today kinda makes me blush... in a good way!

But a note of irony: I rant and rave yesterday about the fact my office is too casual, and today I show up in a beach dress. However, I always feel a jacket classes it up a bit. Ok, even I know I'm stretching it!

No regret though, thus far... not only is it Maxi Dress day for EBEW, but I also made this using the DIY instructions (which you can find on the site).  It's patterned after the "Le Sac" (yes, I realize "the" and "le" mean the same thing, just in different language, but AA doesn't necessarily follow grammar) from American Apparel, but made in maxi length. Since I love my bandeau dress from AA, which follows the same idea (multiple styling options), I figured it was a pretty safe bet that I'd get some wear out of this one. It retails up here for $45 for their standard length (which hits about knee), and I spent less than $15. Of course, it did take me about 90 minutes to get it all together (which included re-arranging the storage closet to get to my sewing machine, among other things), but what's the point of having a sewing machine if you're not going to use it!

I always thought that maxi dresses would make me look short, and maybe it's just the angle of my full length mirror propped against the wall, but it might have the opposite effect! I might re-think my plan to cut it shorter!

12 comments:

  1. Look at you! Doing guest post and stuff - you belong to the cool group now! =0

    I just want to share this with you! Btw, just did the round-up for the first issue of The Pajama Project!


    http://twentyyork.blogspot.com/2011/04/pajama-project-round-up.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic! You definitely shouldn't let your sewing machine languish in the closet. It's handy for so many little things. Congrats on being featured on Melissa's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I love that you made this. It doesn't make you look short - if anything, it has a lengthening effect. It looks great. The greenbow-belt is a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love what you have done with the ribbon!! Such a clever idea!

    Monique xx

    misszuman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You wore your maxi perfectly! :D Cute!
    xxx

    http://gypsy-diaries.blogspot.com/

    P.S: I´m giving away a $100 beauty gift card for YSL, Chanel... etc products. Wanna join in on the fun? ;D

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really suit the maxi length, Cara - this looks amazing on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You made it!!!! Yay, I'm so happy to see your handiwork! I'm also impressed that it only took your 45 minutes. My first, and only, attempt at making a skirt took me much, much longer.
    You look great in that dress, by the way. So long and lean!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How crafty are you! I'm just getting into sewing and altering my clothes. It's actually a lot of fun and not as hard as I had made it out to be. Your dress turned out cute. I love the unexpected pop of green that you used. To be honest, I had the same assumption about maxis not looking good on the vertically challenged girls like myself. Boy was I wrong- Isn't it amazing that a long dress can make you appear taller and skinnier? Great work on the Maxi, you look great!

    ~Mandy @ The Bejeweled Babe

    ReplyDelete
  9. The DIY worked perfectly! It's a voluminous wonderful dress!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Le Sac Maxi looks great! I love the fabric you chose, and that green ribbon is such a great accent. I'm glad you were able to work through it and that it only took a short amount of time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think!