Friday, April 22, 2011

You've inspired me to post!

This week, for Friend Friday, Katy wants us to discuss Inspiration.  Here is what she says:

Inspiration - To further mark one year of FBFF we are going to answer the same set of questions asked this time last year as I think they are still pertinent today and usually ever changing. 

And here are my answers!

1. Which celebrity (celebrities) do you look to for fashion inspiration?

I don't necessarily seek out certain celebrities for styles. However, I do often find that when I'm having difficulties styling a piece (usually trends), that looking at how celebs have worn it really helps, especially when it's how they wore it on a day-to-day basis. It seems more real than seeing how it worked on a runway!

2. When it comes to your own personal style, what inspires you?

I go through a variety of inspiration sources. I try to “star” outfits that other bloggers wear that I can see myself wearing. I love challenges like EBEW where you are given a great basic and have to somehow make it your own. I used to really rely on the inspiration calendar at Fab Finds Under Fifty, but it got harder and harder to use the pieces I had in my closet for that, so now I use it mostly when I'm stuck. However, these days I'm inspired by clothes that move. If I can't skip down the sidewalk, curl up into a ball and do a little yoga in it, all while looking pulled together, I can get a touch grumpity!

3. How do you hope to inspire your readers?

I work from home, or from school. I'm at the beginning stages of grad school (in the grand scheme of things), at a very casual and cold locale. Wearing 4 inch heels to the library will garner me strange looks. Wearing a two piece suit to meet with my adviser would feel overdressed. I hope that I inspire those who don't have a 9-5 job, who love practicality and who are on a budget to take a step out from the oh-so-tempting realm of jeans and t-shirts.

4. Outside the realm of fashion who/what inspires you?

It's funny that this question is coming up right now. Last weekend, I had a chance to catch up with a friend of mine that I met at a summer camp in 1996, then again on the walk to university in 2004 (he remembered me by name... I won't lie: it was a little creepy). Kenley has always pushed me beyond my comfort zone, making me question not my values but my rationale behind them. He's also always seen life as a progression. He's fiercely passionate about music, something he tries to pass on to the students in his music classes. He's started writing chorale pieces, one of which has already been performed. He even is a partner in a video game music composition studio. While he did admit that sometimes his ambition steps in the way of quality time with his girlfriend, or sleep, Kenley's motivation is pure passion, with a very belated afterthought to money. Kenley, on a bad day, probably sees more silver linings in a cloud that I do on a good day. (It must be exhausting being him!)

5. And since Idol is ending… Which songs inspire you?

Took me a minute to realize that Idol meant American Idol. Ooops – evidently I don't watch THAT much TV!!

Despite spending my days surrounded by words, I tend to ignore lyrics to songs: that's not to say I don't sign along. I definitely do my fair share of that. However, the energy in the music is what gets me. Right now, my two biggest “energy” songs are “Rolling In The Deep” by Adele and “River Deep Mountain High” by Celine Dion. I definitely should start my morning with these and boogie on down as I wait for my toast to pop!

5 comments:

  1. haha it's okay, I'm not keeping up on Idol either :p I love that you don't aren't too wrapped up in pop culture... I find it refreshing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find starting the morning with a great track can start things off on the right foot.
    http://cgdn.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol! Glad I'm not the only one who was like "Bwuh? Idol?" I stopped watching Idol after like season 1. I'm not too "into" music, but a good song can really be invigorating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you mention EBEW!! I think that's a great source of inspiration as well! I love clicking through and looking at the HUNDREDS of different ways one piece can be styled!!
    Have a great weekend!

    Krys

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't really listen to the lyrics either. But I love rolling in the deep too!

    xx Kara
    Sprinkles in Springs

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think!