Monday, May 30, 2011

DIY Simple Shrug

I decided I needed some colour to add to an outfit and adding a touch of modesty probably wouldn't hurt either. Solution? I needed a spring shrug!  I couldn't find any bright ones in a couple stores I was at, but I did find a bright embellished t-shirt and thought: "wait! I can do something with that!"

First, buy a t-shirt with some kind of cute detail. I like the bows on this shirt.

Fold the shirt up the middle by matching the side seams up.  You will cut up the fold on the front. This way is faster and easier than measuring, marking and cutting with the shirt lying flat.

I then cut off the collar, since I didn't want to hem the raw edges of the shirt. I then put on the shirt, and marked where I wanted the shrug to end. Keep in mind (which I didn't... doh!) that you'll want to add a bit of extra fabric since the shrug won't hang quite the same with the lighter weight.

To make cutting easier, I laid the shirt flat, then folded in half. This way, there was much less area to screw up my cut.

You can cut off the hems on the sleeves, but I chose to leave them on... didn't want to look too rough!

And the result? Here it is!! Think it's good enough for my cousin's social??

5 comments:

  1. COOL! That looks great!!! I was just talking about needing a summer shrug with a co-worker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omgomgomgomg That is so cool and so stinking cute! This is a fantastic idea.

    When thrifting they never seem to have cardigans, jackets or shrugs at my Goodwill so this might be an awesome alternative if I see any embellished tees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I love shrugs so thank-you, thank-you, thank-you! Paula

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome, well done! I love the hot pink with the orange too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! LOVE how it turned out and the colors together; awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think!