Friday, May 27, 2011

Getting Leggy With It

I got a reader question the other day, and so, of course, I had to answer it!! Here it is:

Okay, so I just found your blog and I am totally a fan.  I am a professional girl in her 20's and love dressing up for work and am always on the lookout for new styles.  :)   You have such cute outfits!! Friday's plaid skirt outfit for example... so cute.  I can't tell, are you in bare legs or a thin stocking here?  I have been trying sheer skin-tone tights for the office.  For me I find that plain black tights gets a little old after awhile and it makes a nice transition into spring weather yet still nice for the office.  :) One idea I've been meaning to try more is a nude fishnet.  Once when I wore them with a pencil skirt I got TONS of compliments.  Got the idea from a friend and these are super fun and can keep a serious work outfit fun yet classy.   What do you think??

First of all, thanks so much for all the wonderful compliments and for stopping by my blog!  First, the easy answer: Friday was barelegged. I wasn't going to work, but rather shopping with my mom, so I didn't need to to worry about working around a dress code.

I work in a business casual setting, so I feel I have very few restrictions for my legwear. Over the last year, I've worn (clicking on the picture will take you to the original post... see what I really thought of the legwear!!)


Bare Legs
Nude Pantyhose
Nude Fishnets
Brown fishnets
Black Tights
Cotton Tights
Patterned Tights











Bright Tights















Of course, I'm a student in a rather casual environment. I don't think bright blue tights would work in every office!  I'd probably avoid wearing the last three (cotton, patterned, and bright) in a more professional office. However, I think appropriately paired, the other five can be quite professional.

Personally, I haven't had much luck with nude fishnets. The first time I wore them, I found they were more opaque than I'd like, and since the ankles weren't stretched as tautly, the closer pattern made my ankles look chunky in ways I hadn't noticed with coloured fishnets (possibly due to the contrast in colour between net and skin). However, I know some people swear by them. However, if I want a naked-look-leg, I feel regular old pantyhose work for me (I love Calvin Klein pantyhose - check your local Winners for them at discount prices!!).

As much as I love Calvin Klein pantyhose, I do prefer going barelegged when I can. I realize some offices, particularly the more conservative ones, frown on this. However, if you can get away with it, make sure you have not only shaved, but also moisturized your legs. And unless you work in a preschool where bruises give you bragging rights, keep any black and blue blotches underwraps!

2 comments:

  1. What a great post. Although, I'd say cotton/wool tights are probably okay in winter if they fit properly and are a dark color/smooth texture. I know I freeze so bad in winter that I can't wear normal hose. I giggled at the pre-school bragging rights. Poor teachers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post, Cara. I totally get away with wearing funky tights at my IT office, but you have to be in the right environment.

    For a nude-looking leg, I swear by Hue's microfishnets. They are actually a sheer nylon with a small fishnet pattern (and they come in control top to keep everything snug). They hide my varicose veins really well, and because of the micro-fishnet they're stronger than most nylons. I typically get about 12-15 wears out of one pair. I get them at the Bay - they come in a yellow/black package in the hosiery section.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think!