Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Now it's my turn to rant

I'm not going to lie: the election results weren't what I would have ideally liked. In fact, they're not even what I had anticipated. For that reason, I'm some what empathetic regarding the disappointment many friends are voicing. What surprises me is the fact that people seem to have two reactions to the outcome:

1) We wanted change!  We didn't get change!
2) The world is over! This change is too radical!

In some ways both ignorant and both are right. The PM is the same person it has been for the last 3 elections, he was just given more power. However, the political landscape shifted extensively, given the massive failings of two key parties, at least in parts of the country. One comment made by a friend with whom I was watching the coverage last night was the fact he was glad it was a majority: none of the parties really have been given a chance to show themselves over the last few years of minority governments with its backroom deals and unlikely alliances. And for that reason, I'm not jumping on the side of many of my friends who are decrying the loss of Arts funding (which may be sacrificed... but may not), the loss of women's rights (not quite sure what started that one - perhaps the abortion issue? Either way, the threat of being sent "back to the kitchen" seems excessively hyperbolic), or the absolute loss of all democracy (the vote was rigged?).

Instead, I'm withholding judgment, praise and outrage until each is merited by some actual event that occurs. In the meantime, I am joining the call for electoral reform to give more weight to the popular vote. I'm going to resist the push for mandatory voting (which I fear will breed an ignorant vote unless they can some how make mandatory informed voting a thing). And to be honest, I'm going to chill the eff out because even if the party in power is significantly more conservative than the opposition, we're talking mere degrees of difference on the big political scale. A leader was elected, not forced upon us. We can reverse that decision in 4 years time if we're unhappy, not suffer under oppression endlessly. We can express our points of view safely, without fearing imprisonment or death. As long as we keep that in perspective, I am certain we'll survive these next 4 years without having to move to Sweden.

And while I make strongly disagree with the conservative leanings of this statement, it makes me smile... as my brother-in-law said last night: "The sky will be bluer tomorrow".

1 comment:

  1. That's a really great saying and something I need to keep in mind with all this rain. It will be bluer tomorrow.

    I can't comment on the politics of things, but there are ups and downs with everything.

    Love your green shirt. Looks like a great layering piece.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think!