Friday, June 3, 2011

V-A-C-A-T-I-O-N In the summer time!! FBFF

Katy is on vacation, so it shouldn't be a surprise that this would be a topic for FBFF!!


1.      When it comes to packing for vacation what’s your mantra?

Be prepared. I wasn’t in Brownie and Guides for nothing! I learned the hard was last weekend that even if you think: “I won’t be outside that much,” you should still bring clothes for all kinds of weather phenomena. We had hot & sunny and cold & dreary all within the same day. Not a good trip to bring only suede or canvas shoes!

2.      What are your must packs?

Two pairs of jeans. Without fail, you’ll spill on one, get grass stains from playing in the park or just simply get tired of one. Of course, I live in jeans, so if you hate jeans, substitute your favourite skirt/dress/shorts for jeans.

3.      What are you happy to leave behind?

Are we talking clothes? Because if that’s the case, think long and hard about what you’re leaving behind. I’ve seen my dad bring a suit to go camping – and use it. (Ok, that was a bit of an exception rather than a rule, we knew there would be a funeral while we were away). A short trip, and I could likely leave a “fancy outfit” or “business outfit” off my list. However, for a longer trip, I always make sure I have enough options that I can dress up or down for ANY occasion.

4.      Any packing secrets that help you get everything into one suitcase?

I plan outfits in advance. I won’t necessarily wear those outfits, but planning colour schemes and basic outfits can make sure I’m not packing extraneous stuff. I know that seems contradictory to the point above, but that’s where proper planning comes in. Business separates can be dressed down for every day wear, or paired together “in case of emergency”. I also lay all the clothes out together to make sure they are all interchangeable. You also want to make sure you’ve got spare room in your bag because even the most boring and monotonous quick trip usually ends up with coming back with more stuff than you left!

5.      Beach reading… what are you taking with you to read in the sand?

It doesn’t look like I’ll be hitting the beach this year. While we are hoping to get a night or two at my in-laws cabin, the flooding situation is still bad enough that there is no sand (of course, their lake has had high water levels for the last few years, so I’ve never actually seen sand near their cabin!). However, I’ll still have a stack of books. My plan is to finish Italo Calvino’s If on a Winter’s Night A Traveler which is a book to be savoured slowly and thoughtfully. I also want to run through a few more Alice Munro books for thesis related materials. Apparently, I do also have to read A Game of Thrones because I’d mocked Scott for years for owning them, and now he’s rubbing it in my face that they’re now cool.

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think!