Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Back to Basics

It's been a while since I've done some basic blogging. Over the last few weeks, I've put a lot of thought into putting together outfits and how these outfits are perceived. During our honeymoon, I went very low key in my outfits. I wore clothes based on comfort rather than fashion so that I could focus on time with Scott. It was a little odd to wear a basic jean and t-shirt combo three, four, five days in a row, especially since we were staying in a hotel which was more upscale than we were used to (Renaissance, for those who know downtown Vancouver hotels). I felt equally as self-conscious in jeans, a t-shirt and a pony tail as I do in an "outfit" and "hairstyle".

Blogging certainly encourages us to stretch our wardrobe in new and different ways, which is one of the reasons why I love it. However, sometimes it feels like reaching for the kookiest colour combination or adding yet another layer of clothing may have me stand out in the blogging world - in a good way - but makes me stand out in the real world - in a bad way. Do my clothes show my identity or mask it?

I'm taking advantage of the fact that we're currently packing to move back home, and will be "camping" in our current apartment for a number of weeks and focusing on simple and fresh outfits. I'm not going to be trying to be the world's greatest fashionista. Instead, I'm going to focus making sure each outfit is a reflection of me.
 
Ok, this outfit is a little less about "me" and a little more about the shoes - Nine West Zampa. My research suggests that they were from the Fall 2010 line (though that could be wrong) and retailed for up to $180 here in Canada. Of course, I was pretty damn shocked to see them - new without tags - in Value Village for $15. Can you say win?!?! 

6 comments:

  1. Those heels are such a great fashion bargain and they work perfectly with your outfit! I tend to overdress when on vacation- even on planes I wear dresses and heels. I hope you had a fabulous honeymoon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh this is such a cute outfit! The peddlepusher/ankle pant is perfect for showing off the new shoes, and the red top with that necklace are uber chic.

    I think stepping away from the blog once in awhile and wearing a black tee (or your favorite) shirt and jeans can be just the thing. I try to do that on the weekends now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those shoes rock my socks! It's nice sometimes to wear fully what is most you! And the lovely thing is that can change daily!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very chic outfit! Those shoes are awesome - I love Mary Janes.

    14 Shades Of Grey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cara I have those shoes :)
    I have not worn them in some time and I bought them about beginning 2010 - for something like 70 dollars. So you got yourself a bargain !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love, LOVE the cropped pants with heels, and the red top is gorgeous on you! Those shoes are fantastic!

    I know what you mean about adding a layer or a different color combo and trying to stand out in a good way. I'm not sure if I'm perceived in a good way in the "real" world.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think!