Monday, September 19, 2011

Maison Monday #1

Oxford English Dictionary
Have you ever arrived some where and new you had arrived exactly where you wanted to be? It took a long time, but I think I'm finally there.

Over the last two years in Regina, I knew it wasn't "home," partially because it was so far away from family (so I spent a good deal of time on the road) and partially because I never really felt settled in either of our apartments. Of course, add in there a dose of creepy crawlies, and some horrible neighbours and you can certainly understand why I didn't put down my roots.

I can't remember if it was after Christmas, in the midst of bedbugs or what, but I do remember bursting into tears after returning from a trip to my parents, feeling so unbelievably homesick but not knowing where "home" was. I've got to say, arriving in Winnipeg made it really feel like "home." Since I'm so emotionally invested in this place, I've invested the time (and a tidbit more money than I'd wanted) in making our home beautiful.

So without further ado, I present...

The Bathroom

I know, I know, what a boring room to start. However, it was really the first room to come together. About 90% of the items we received at my first shower, so it took little work to pull together. Of course, had I known when we registered that we'd have yellow tile, I might have gone a different route, but I'm certainly glad we went with neutrals. I might even try to hunt down a yellow facecloth or two to make it seem a little more intentional. Hmm... or convince Scott to buy me some daisies....


And while we're here, under the sink is stashed my makeup kit. I usually wear very light colours, so I don't quite get how I've amassed this collection. I received the case from my grandmother and redid the interior. I then used 3 watch cases as organizers.  


I know, not the most exciting post, but expect some fillers for the next while as I get into the working AND blogging routine!

6 comments:

  1. I knew you were going to have to balance work and blogging, so I'm surprised that you posted at all! And I always like to see people's homes. I think we all do. When I started blogging, I showed outfit-photos taken in different parts of my house -- and people commented more on the house than the outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally know what you mean about feeling home. When I moved to England not knowing anyone I stepped off the plane and had the feeling that maybe I could feel like I belonged there. When I went up to the country... Yes. I was home. I've also learned to allow Regina into my heart a bit in the last 3 years too. It's never where I wanted to live so I guess I'm still searching too for someplace to put down roots.

    The neutral colours look great but husband-daisies are even better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck in your new job...are you allowed to paint? You could paint out the cabinet white and even change the wall coloir

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely understand what you mean about not feeling "home". I've lived where I do now for almost 4 years and still feel ready to pick up and move any second.

    I hope your new home feels more like it.

    Your bathroom is adorable! I love how you layered the towels to reflect the curtain. Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. why do you have 3 toothbrushes?? do you guys have a roomie??

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been in my current city/apartment for three years, and I still don't feel any attachment to the place. I can't wait until my boyfriend finishes school next spring and we can move, so I completely understand where you're coming from. Glad that you're feeling settled, and good luck with the new job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think!