Tuesday, October 25, 2011

One Jacket - Three Ways

I missed out on Day One of the This or That fall challenge that Megan and Keely are running, in order to finished up my "Maison Mondays". Of course, it may also have something to do with the fact that I own neither snakeskin nor animal print items. However, I'm jumping in with both feet for "Menswear or Over-sized pants". I'm going with men's wear, styling my very old but recently rediscovered boyfriend blazer. All three outfits are from the trip we took this last weekend to Toronto / Hamilton for a friend's wedding (turns out I can't just refer to it as the Great Toronto Area [GTA], even though we stayed in Burlington, as the reception itself was in Hamilton, which is apparently outside the GTA, but still part of the Golden Horseshoe. Oh the random facts I know about Southern Ontario despite not living there).

The first was a travel day, going with a basic collared sweater, jeans, grey wedges and the jacket. Simple, verging on sweet.
Yes, I'm a little apprehensive before flying...
The second day was bumming around the hotel, feeling a little rockstar in the graphic tee, cuffed jeans and striped socks.

Finally, I threw the jacket over top of my dress for the ceremony , which made me feel not only appropriately covered, but also a little like Ally McBeal. She'd totally wear this outfit, eh?

And of course, even though it doesn't fit in men's wear, I had to show you the dress. If you follow me on Twitter, you'll know that I brought two outfits for the wedding. I ended up wearing what I'd originally purchased (for $5, thank you consignment shop in Vancouver!!), having been emboldened to wear it by WendyB's post on peplum dresses the same day we were packing to leave!

My favourite thing about this peplum? It definitely camouflaged the food baby. You know how some weddings give you the option of beef, pork or chicken? We didn't get the choice - each of us got all three.

9 comments:

  1. A blazer really is a versatile piece to have in your closet. And that pleplum dress looks FABULOUS on you! What a great look for a wedding :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! All of the looks work wonderfully. (Am I allowed to say the dress is fabulous?!)

    One thing I've noticed you do often, which I applaud, is pulling up/cuffing your pants-legs and, now, your blazer-sleeves. That creates both a feminine touch and nicer proportions. I need to learn that trick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They all look great, but I think I like the outfit with the graphic T best. That's my standard weekend outfit: fun T, jeans, and a blazer.

    Wow, that's a lot of food at the wedding! I bet everyone had a food hangover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great transitional looks. And whambam that dress is slamming! Seriously, it fits you like a glove.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sooooo glad you wore the dress. It's hot on you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look beautiful Cara- I love the blazer on you- it has such a beautiful red lining! Wait a second- did I know you were a Canuck? I'm in Ottawa so not far from Toronto! You look smokin in the dress- amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i heart ally mcbeal's too-short-for-court skirts, so i am all about that look!


    dash dot dotty

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love a blazer with jeans! Such an easy way to dress up a casual look.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think!