Tuesday, November 29, 2011

First Day of Work

Yesterday's post discussed removing the "student" tag from my identity. I'll admit that I don't know what's going in its place. Being a student is a lifestyle. Being a copywriter is a job. It isn't simply replacing one title with another. I know that in the weeks and months to come, I'll be shifting priorities around in my life until I find the right balance and the right "tags" to go by my name.

In the meantime, I'm finding it interesting how these perhaps more philosophical thoughts are reflected in my clothing choices. I know what a copywriter wears on Mad Men. I wouldn't mind walking around in Peggy's outfits, but admittedly they'd feel like costumes to me. I also have an image of a modern copywriter at a small creative company, wearing bright colours, drapey shirts and showing too much leg. Again, those would feel like costumes to me. As I dress for this new role, I am looking to blogs for inspiration - namely Lenore of Lather Write Repeat. What strikes me most about her clothes, and possibly this is what makes them both a source of inspiration, and a source of frustration, is that she dresses like her.* But what is me? With a closet full of tweeds and button down shirts befitting a civil servant and a dresser full of cotton basics suited to a university student, it'll be a fun adventure in finding outfits that fit in between, and finding myself.



*Lenore offered me some words of wisdom on Twitter regarding dressing for my interview, and I'll hopefully be able to fall back on them whenever I'm at a loss for an outfit: "Definitely amp up the colour, keep one thing 'businessy' (skirt, dress pants, or button down) then add personality in w/ rest!"

9 comments:

  1. Lenore had some great words of wisdom. I think this could apply to most job interview attire. LOVE your purple tights! Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand it is sometimes difficult to find one's personal style... sometimes it changes so much that you don't really know what to wear anymore. I think you are looking great in this outfit though! So you must be on the right track :)

    www.thejoyoffashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like great advice. I love the colour. I do envy people who have an inherent sense of style. I am still searching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the best thing to strive for is "Cara: Adult." Anything that comes after that is changeable!

    I love your purple on black look, the purple tights are adorable. I think you'll find your you, it's just a matter of putting your mind to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is perfect! Can't wait to see how you grow into your role!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous outfit. It makes me wish I were you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look beautiful Cara-professional but still you (plus coloured tights make any outfit fab in my books!) I get where you're coming from-I had planned to be doing my Master's degree this year so when that didn't pan out I realized I would have to get a job. I'm only working part-time now and finding myself wondering if I made the right decision. I'm trying to live with no regrets and be at peace with my decision!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, that's a lot of purple! Fun!

    That's very good advice, at least until you figure "you" out (by the way, I'm still figuring out "me", so I guess that's not totally reassuring!).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, I just saw this...congrats on the new job!!! I'm humbled by the fact that you say I dress like me, as that is what I strive for...I can't wait to see how you dress like 'you' for this exciting new chapter!!

    XO
    Lenore

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think!