Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Taking A Good Picture

It's so hard in winter to find a good time and place to find pictures, between the limited hours of sunlight and the inability to bear the cold for outdoor pictures. While I certainly don't have the answers, I decided to find a solution that worked for me.I tested four variables - time of day (since I take pictures at various times), use of flash, use of extra lighting (in front of the camera - behind the camera is a whole other day!) and camera settings.

Daylight Test

Automatic Setting, no lights, first without then with flash

Automatic Settings, with lights, first without, then with flash


 Programmed setting (white balance, centre focus), no lights, first with flashout flash then with

 Programmed settings, with lights, first without, then with flash

Nighttime, no lights, automatic setting, first without then with flash

 With lights, automatic setting, first without then with flash

Programmed settings, no lights, first without then with flash

Programmed setting, with lights, first without flash then with flash

 So for me, both day and night, using programmed settings with flash work best for this location, without any extra light. While I don't like the way the legs look a little faded and flat, I figure lowering the tripod so it's focusing approximately at waist rather than at chest-ish level will help. Or are there any that you prefer?

Having difficulty? Find a day when you have some spare time that is approximately at the same time you take pictures, and play around with your settings. Better yet, read the instruction manual first!

2 comments:

  1. Great post! As you know, I have been having some trouble with getting decent photos. I guess it's just trial and error finding the best lighting. Your funny faces crack me up!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite is actually the Daylight, no lights, no flash. I can actually see all of you without any of it blending into the background. Colors seem truer and it's flattering light. My second fav is Programmed setting (white balance, centre focus), no lights.

    I think this is a really cool post. Blogging with SCIENCE!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think!