Thursday, December 8, 2011

Cognac and Confidence

Outfit first, psychology later.  I don't own anything that is cognac. Scott does, but I'm not about to start wearing his clothes to work this early in my career. However, I figure if you combine all the colours I'm wearing today, they'd make cognac. I think the outfit still works for the challenge - the outfit is mostly neutrals and pseudo-neutrals. Also, it teaches me a valuable lesson about backgrounds. Who knew those three pictures that usually hang above my mantle did that much for the ootd pics?!?! Fortunately, we just had them down for our Christmas portrait session, so I can put them back up now.



I know starting a new job is difficult, but some days I forget that the adjustment process takes much longer than I think. Last week ended and this week start so well. Tuesday had its moments, but by Wednesday morning, I was pretty sure I was a fraud who had got this job through trickery so deceptive I didn't even know what it was. In fact, I wasn't just a fraud at work, I was a fraud every where - even this blog. What made me think that I had a) creative enough outfits to photograph, b) had enough talent to write and c) was interesting enough to have any followers.

I brooded over lunch, unsure of what to do. I begrudgingly returned to my work, certain I'd find some new terror to ruin my life. Instead, I found an email containing no more than three words: "You are awesome". In those few words, my day turned around.



8 comments:

  1. Cognac was definitely the hardest color by far this week. You did a great job though. We are kind of reverse twinkies today :) Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, you're not a fraud! Your emailer was right. You are awesome. =)

    I like that the photo makes it look like you're wearing a Christmassy crown. =) And I love that rusty orange color with the browns and khakis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did a great job - cognac is a tough color, but I think you're within the "color scheme" just fine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the whole outfit together does give a cognac vibe without actually containing a cognac shaded piece.

    You are awesome Cara! Don't let cyclical thinking get you down. Adjusting to anything new can be hard, especially when it is something that is going to take up much of your week. Sometimes I think we all walk around thinking everyone else is certain of what they're doing, but I think we all feel equally confused and like the learning curve is just up ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always felt that the adjustment to any new job took me six months.

    ReplyDelete
  6. New jobs take a while to get used to- I've only been out of university a year and a half and have had 4 jobs in that time so lots of adjusting! You look beautiful (at first I thought the X-mas decoration above your head was a hat lol) and you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice email - I send those to people all the time, and it always makes someone's day. :) You ARE awesome!

    I'm struggling with cognac too - you are not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable outfit. I love all the colors and shades!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think!