Thursday, January 19, 2012

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

A closet is more than an organizational area within a room used for the storage of clothing. If you hold the Oxford English Dictionary in such high esteem as I do, you'll know "closet" was originally "a room for privacy and retirement; a private room; an inner chamber." Despite the fact no one "retires to one's closet for some reflection," we still use this definition in some idiomatic expressions: the skeletons in the closet, to come out of the closet. A closet is where we keep things private.

Cara's Closet has always featured the clothing with a bit of the private reflection thrown in from time to time.  It's also been the skeleton in my closet - the blog I'm willing to promote to the larger anonymous crowd, but will barely reference in social settings. It's an awkward situation. I've spent the last week thinking about this limbo in which I've found myself, and decided it wasn't a healthy place for me. Struggling about how to fill my role at work while struggling to hide this blog, which is one of my strongest marketable skills in my current job was getting too difficult.

 Now I'm both inviting you into my closet, and coming out of it, at the same time. Confusing, I know. Essentially, I want this blog to better reflect my life - whether it is feeling comfortable to share this blog with friends, or sharing more of my life with you. I'm still working out the details, but my tentative plan is to keep a consistent schedule that lets me showcase more areas of my life.

Mondays will continue weeding through my closet, but will also discuss storage, organization and what I'm trying to do to simplify my life. Tuesdays will contain outfit pictures. Wednesdays will be fitness days - that one will be difficult. Thursdays will focus on food. Finally, Friday will be projects that I've worked on, from sewing and knitting, to reading and writing.

I have three goals for this re-orientation
1. Stress less about clothing
2. Share more aspects of my life that I'm proud of (without having to maintain two blogs)
3. Since it's a blog about my life I'll be more likely/willing to keep up with the social media aspects a bit more

I'm taking tomorrow off blogging, then spending the weekend adjusting to the change. Look forward to the "new" blog next week - and don't worry: I'll do a little write up each day so you'll know what to expect!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds good. Just don't let the schedule overburden you. If you can't make a post here or there, relax and don't worry about it.

    The broadening of topics is a smart choice: the more our blogs reflect who we are, the happier we are working on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand where you are coming from. My blog is like this deep dark secret that none of my friends (except just one) knows about. It's hard to keep something a secrret when it's such a huge part of your life. Or at least that's how I feel about my blog. I usually don't care about what other people think of me, but somehow revealing to my friends that I have a website where I post pictures of me me me everyday of the entire year makes me feel very vulnerable and sensitive to their reactions. So, for not it is still a secret for me. However, I just decided last night that I was going to tell one more friend. Wish me luck on that one!

    Anyway, back to you (btw, this comment is abnormaly long, sorry about that). Your new direction for your blog sounds fantastic. I'm sure it's going to be great!

    www.thejoyoffashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot which blog I was reading, but it was a girl talking about "retiring to her closet" when she needed private time away from her parents as a kid, her (ex?)spouse, and later when she lived on her own she realized her life felt chaotic when she began accumulating more clothes around her whole apartment because it felt like she no longer had that place to escape to.

    I think it will be exciting to see the different aspects you plan to focus on. I look forward to getting to know a more well-rounded you. Hopefully it'll help you focus in your daily life as well as your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that as we grow and change our blogs have to as well. I haven't really told too many of my friends about my blog because I'm certain that they wouldn't be interested. Part of what I like about blogs is seeing a little sliver of someone else's life. Can't wait to see yours!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think!