Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Layering the Little Things

First of all, not doing outfit posts on a daily basis is so liberating. I finally feel free to create, rather than pressed to deliver. Giant difference! Some weeks, I'll have multiple pictures on my Tuesday outfit posts; some weeks, like this one, I will only have one. 

I wore this outfit for my birthday party with friends a few weeks ago. The dress/tunic was a present from my in-laws (via gift card). Since I didn't take a picture that night, I kept it in mind and pulled it together this last Friday. It's a light fabric, and since it wasn't exactly light fabric friendly weather, I layered a wool sweater over it, and tights, knee high socks, and jeans under it.

I also layered jewelry. Sal at Already Pretty had a reader request for incorporating delicate jewelry into regular rotation. I decided to give it a try. I was a little nervous to use the pieces that have emotional value, since I didn't know if layering necklaces would snag them together, particularly once I threw on parkas and scarves and played my twice-daily routine of public transit commuting, so I pulled out a necklace from an old boyfriend. Glad to see the relationship wasn't entirely a waste of time! (Kidding - we still keep tabs on each other from time to time). Overall, I like the look! Maybe not with the collared, wool shirt, but I can't wait to try it again with some of my more precious pieces that don't get to see much of the light of day.

12 comments:

  1. I think your layered necklaces look great! I read Sal's post on delicate jewelry too and am hoping to get more of my little pieces back into rotation more often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll admit I felt I cheated since I just combined 2 necklaces. Next time I'm going to try and match 3!

      Delete
  2. I love the colors in that dress! And I like how you layered the necklaces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's not a colour/pattern palette I usually turn to, but I'm glad I took the chance!

      Delete
  3. Love the layered necklaces and it's great you are getting new use out of some of your delicate pieces. Nobody will ever see how pretty they are if they sit in the jewlery box :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly my thought! There are pieces I love that don't get enough attention!!

      Delete
  4. Oooh the tunic is SO cute. I like the layered necklaces too. Glad to hear the new format is working for ya.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention the best part! The tunic has pockets!

      Delete
  5. You are so good at layering for warmth. And I love the idea of wearing precious jewelry more often. It's not meant to be locked away in a drawer where no one sees it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Layering for warmth is necessary - we're not all so lucky to escape the prairie winter!!

      Delete
  6. Cute, comfy and warm. My three musts right now. You've got it down too. That tunic is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I learned from watching you style tunics!!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think!