Friday, February 10, 2012

Book Review: History of the World

The one benefit to a lengthy commute is getting a chance to read. My first bus ride involves checking my email, facebook and twitter. My second bus ride usually lets me power through a chapter of a book. I just finished The History of the World in 10 1/2 Chapters by Julian Barnes. I loved reading one of his other books, Flaubert's Parrot for one of my classes a few years back, but it just took me some time to get around to reading another one of his books.

Image yoinked from Chapters Indigo
I will say FP  is better, but 10 1/2 is as witty and fun as I was hoping. I always know when it's a good book when I try to remember what my favourite part was, and I have to debate: "The last chapter! No! The half chapter! No, the twist at the end of the first chapter!"

If you like postmodern literature, witty comments, or just interested to see a literary take on the history of the world, give it a read!! It's fairly short (309 pages) and definitely a quick read!


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Cara- I'm always looking for new books to read! I wish I could read on the bus, car or airplane but alas I get far too motion sick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a really good book. I'm adding this book to my list, and hope I get to it soon. There are not enough hours a day to read all I want!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think!