Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Cardigan Vs. Blazer: The show down

I laughed when I read Taylor of It's My Cardi's post which started out: "I cannot believe that until recently I was missing out on the blazer as a completer piece to any given outfit. I owned a couple, but typically preferred a cardi. (Hence the blog's name.) But for some reason I have been picking up blazers left and right as of late."

Being a blazer girl, I spent the week trying to prove the benefits of both.

I still advocate for the benefits of blazers. Why?

They add shape to a shapeless outfit. As Sheila commented last week, "I have to admit I struggle with cardigans, being a woman with curves and boobage. They can make me look very lumpy and saggy." While I don't have curves or boobage, I struggle for similar reasons - they lack the definition provided by a blazer.






Secondly, the simple addition of a blazer takes an outfit from "uninteresting and unpolished" to "posh and professional" in a way a cardigan just can't.

12 comments:

  1. I agree on blazers - I also find I reach for them more in the winter and pull out a lightweight cardi in the summer - cardis can be kind of flirty and go well with skirts in warmer weather so I think that is why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true - they're more slimming and figure-flattering as well. I still love my cardis... but have made room in my heart for blazers as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do tend to like blazers because my office seems to call for them more often. Cardigans can have shape with the right length and if belted properly. Oh, how I love my belts...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like a structured jacket much more than a cardigan. I prefer the waist definition and if the jacket has the right fit can balance my shoulders.

    I actually prefer your white cardigan to the jacket, but reverse for the dark one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny, this is the second cardigan vs. blazer post I've read today. I prefer cardigans myself, but it's just because I feel a blazer ages me up. I do choose the blazer when I want to look professional though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, the old debate of cardi vs blazer (I've definitely heard it before). I like both, honestly. Sometimes a cardi does what a blazer can't and sometimes a blazer does what a cardi can't. (I'm indecisive, I know. *shrugs*)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have proven that blazers defeat the schlumpiness! But the one thing that blazers are not is cozy... Therefore I still love both! Hurrah!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree with you on this one. Blazers have much more shape and polish. I use cardigans over flowy dresses though, so I guess I like both!

    www.thejoyoffashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the look of blazers on everyone I see in them. But... I just don't like them on myself. I'm weird about the way things feel on me and I can't stand how blazers feel all restrictive and like I can't move. I like a nice comfy cardi because they're made of a stretchier material and give me room to breathe! Or do jumping jacks if I want to. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the first outfit with the cardi and the second with the blazer. Nice showdown.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think!