Tuesday, August 21, 2012

A purchase 10 years in the making

The first time I can remember my fingers touching a computer keyboard, I was 5, maybe 6. They wheeled what was most likely a Commodore 64 into the kindergarten classroom, and I believe I wrote a story about a turtle on it.

About 4 years later, my parents finally purchased their first home computer. Hours were spent playing solitaire as a family, huddled around the dining room table. We were genuinely thrilled when we received SoundBlaster as a Christmas present.

When they moved on to their second computer, I adopted the first one as my first personal computer. Sure, it couldn't even handle the internet, but it still had solitaire!

My parents bought me my first computer when I went off to university. For the first degree. The first time. Ten years ago. It was my lifeline when I moved away from my home and my friends (back in the days of MSN Messenger). It quickly became my main source of entertainment (I may have burned out the DVD-ROM in the first 2 years). It also was the reason I ended a relationship (not entirely true - but when someone thinks you want a stick of RAM for Christmas, it's generally just one more sign that they don't really know you).

When I went off to grad school, I brought "Carrots" with me (as I named it), but supplementing its quickly dying power with "Baby Carrots" - a netbook - but promising myself to buy myself a brand new desktop when my income tax return came in a couple years.

But when the tax return came in, Scott was going back to school and he needed a computer. I finished the last draft of my thesis camped out on Scott's computer having to call him every time the computer went into screensaver and locked and I couldn't remember the password. Neither of my computers could cut it any more.

And finally, ten years after my first real computer, I got my second real computer.

6 comments:

  1. That is a beauty! Congrats on your new computer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the new computer! My first computers were Macs. (I think) But I didn't have my own computer until I was 15.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! That is an awesome computer! My dad is a huge fan of Macs and I believe we got our first Mac in 1985 so I was always on the computer since I was very young. :)

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    Enter my 2 giveaways!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love my Macbook Air, I don't know how I lived without it - you'll love yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, pretty! You're a proud mama to a MacBook Air. :) I love it that you named your old computer "Carrots." That's too cute for words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! Congrats! Welcome to the Air Club!
    I love love mine, it's my baby! 
    oxo,
     
    ML
    TWENTY YORK STREET
    Follow @20YS on Twitter : @20YS
    Follow @20YS on Facebook: TWENTY YORK STREET
    Recent post:http://www.twentyyork.com/2012/08/fall-fashion-jacob-chic-suitcase.html 

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think!