Wednesday, August 8, 2012

My life can be envied

I've spoken many times about feeling like our life is in a bit of a holding pattern. While we're working towards goals, our progress is not nearly as tangible as many of the goals we've achieved to this point.

I am finding, more and more, that I can reflect on the progress we have made, and how much better life is now compared to a few short months and years ago. Most often, now, I feel content.

But I still find it hard when someone in the blog world or the real world gets to achieve a goal before me. And in these last few months, we have been witness to so many people getting to live their dreams around this online community. Jealousy may have boiled over. I may have had a hissy fit or two.

After a couple days, I usually realize the sacrifices people have made to achieve their goal, sacrifices I'm not willing or ready to undergo, and I am able to be truly happy for them. And a number of days later, I can go back to be content with my life. It's good enough.

The other day, as we went for our morning run, a quiet 5k, through our manicured residential area, amongst two manmade lakes, I was finally able to realize that my life can be envied. Granted, I don't want someone to be jealous of us, and I'm not sure anyone really is. However, after a few weeks of being jealous of other, it was nice to know that my life was good enough that it could be envied too.

4 comments:

  1. Good post Cara! Sometimes we get so caught up what everyone else is doing and we forget to appreciate the things that we have right in front of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the blog world is a place that can inspire a lot of envy if you let it. It's hard to be excited for people who leave their "regular" jobs for their dream jobs, people who can travel or have experiences because of where they live.

    I try to be excited for people because it does take a lot of work. It takes a lot of courage, intelligence, and yes, a little luck too. We also have to realize that people are more than what we see. Not everyone is going to share their personal problems, so the view we get of somebody's life does not always show their struggles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully written. You're in that peaceful place of contentment that many people only strive to attain, and it's awesome. I'm happy for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. I think that life is a trade off. Maybe you have a great job but a crappy house. Maybe you can't do what you want now because you're saving for later. I know that I am lucky to be travelling right now but at the same time I don't have a career, I don't have a house, I don't have friends, heck, I don't even have a clean-ish kitchen I can cook in. Nothing's all good or all bad.

    I took a psychology of yoga class when I was in university and the idea that really stuck with me was Santosha. From what I remember it's a state of being content in your life exactly where you are while still searching for and working toward ways to improve on peace and love and all those good things that we want.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think!