Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Quinoa - the magic meat

Quinoa is not meat - but boy can it act like it!  I could tell you about the protein/amino acids/what have you that make it an excellent replacement for me, but let's face it... for us non-vegan/vegetarian people looking to stretch their food budget by finding meat alternatives.

My quinoa tacos are great, since it mimics the crumbliness of the beef, and you don't even notice a change in taste since the taco seasoning is so spicy (in a good way!).

Every once and a while, though, you want burgers without all the fat. Scott barely ever eats a hamburger, preferring chicken burgers. But where to quinoa burgers fit?

We found out earlier this week. Quinoa burgers have the ease of burger but the more delicate flavour of chicken. That's right - everything ends up tasting like chicken. My recipe was loosely based off this one.

Chick(en)Pea  Burgers (makes 4)

1/4 cup quinoa, rinsed
1 small carrot
1/8-1/4c crumbs (we grind up crackers with our mortar & pestle... we only LOOK like we're classy)
7.5 ounces beans (we used chickpeas)
1 egg white (we didn't have any eggs, so I used 1 1/2 tsp of ground flax seed and 1 tbsp water)
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp garlic

1. Cook the quinoa (1/4 cup raw quinoa, 1/2 cup water)
2. Chop carrot in food processor. Add remaining ingredients (except quinoa) to processor and blend.
3. Mix in quinoa and form patties. Dip hands in water to keep mixture from sticking.
4. Grill on greased tinfoil/pan or fry with oil in a pan.
5. Top as you would a chicken burger.
These burgers are really filling (Scott even debated whether he would eat a second) but are roughly 155 calories, 1.8 g fat, 7 g protein and even 4.6 g fiber per patty. Even with a slice of cheese and a bit of mayo, it's a great option!

5 comments:

  1. I'll have to try this! I'm always looking for new no-meat meals for dinner :)

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    Enter to win a statement necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yayy I like quinoa too! Though I usually just eat it plain with veggies or add it to soup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I have never tried it, but it looks delicious :) Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy. Yum. I've done some things with quinoa since I AM a vegetarian, but I haven't made a burger with it. I need to know how you make tacos with it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, what a great recipe! I like quinoa, but don't use it nearly as often as I should. I'll have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think!