Monday, August 27, 2012

Summer Road Trip

Scott and I are no stranger to hoping into a car immediately after work on Friday and not returning home until far too late on Sunday. It's been the story of our life, particularly in the last three years. Living in a different province from family resulted in 3 1/2 - 6 hour drives on a fairly regular basis. Oddly, it wasn't until our wedding and one month before we moved back into our home province that we developed what is still my favourite iTunes playlist. While it's chock full of memories for us, especially since it played at our wedding, I'm still getting people asking for the list over a year later.

1. Lucky - Jason Mraz and Colbie Caillat
2. Love Song - Adele
3. Think I'm in Love - Beck
4. Nobody Does it Better - Carly Simon
5. Forever - Ben Harper
6. Like U Like Crazy - Mates of State
7. Apple Blossom - White Stripes
8. When I'm 64 - The Beatles
9. You and Me Song - The Wannadies
10. I'm Sticking With You - Velvet Underground
11. I Want to Hold Your Hand - TV Carpio
12. I Melt With You - Jason Mraz
13. Anyone Else But You - Moldy Peaches
14. God Only Knows - Beach Boys
15. Maybe I'm Amazed - Paul McCartney
16. Perfect Day - Lou Reed
17. Banana Pancakes - Jack Johnson
18. Dearest - Buddy Holly
19. Hello, I Love You - The Doors
20. Love Me Do - The Beatles
21. Happy Together - The Turtles
22. Open Window - Sarah Harmer
23. Holy Holy Holy - Sufjan Stephens
24. Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen
25. First Day of My Life - Bright Eyes

The downfall of this mix is that it's not much longer than half an hour. Now our standard road trip comes in at 2 1/2 hours, with an additional 1 hour 10 minute jaunt occasionally on top of that. If I were to actually think about this list outside of the car, I'd likely add some more songs like Flowers in the Window by Travis or Lover's Spit by Broken Social Scene.

These lists by no means encompass our musical tastes. These are the song found in the middle section of the venn diagram of our iTunes libraries. I love the liberty afforded to me in music selection when driving by myself, with songs like A Plea from a Cat Named Virtue, by The Weakerthans, or Somebody to Love by Queen.. Ok, maybe Scott could handle this list, but what he couldn't handle is a) me screaming along to them and b) me playing them over and over and over and over and over again until I'm hoarse-voiced.

What kind of song make up your favourite driving lists?

4 comments:

  1. This is a fun list! We really like Love Me Do by The Beatles. Our road trip lists consists of so many different types of music too. A little bit of rock, country, classic rock, pop, and just a little bit of old school rap :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually let the Hubs make a list because he usually includes songs that I can scream - er, sing along to, but also includes some stuff I don't like and some new stuff for me to test out. I don't listen to a lot music in my free time because I prefer quiet more than music.

    We also like listening to podcasts and try to at least finish one a week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As much as I'm a country music fan I love driving to hip hop and rap, makes me feel pretty bad @$$! I really like a few of these songs and haven't heard the others, will have to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS Your comment on my blog about my muscles made my day, I've been working hard at Body Pump so am glad it's showing :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think!