Thursday, August 30, 2012

When is an outfit more like a costume?

I've been mulling this question in my head for a few months. The other week, I started putting my thoughts into typed-format on Sheila's blogpost about self-doubt, but the that barely scratched the surface of my thoughts.*

In case you haven't noticed, I haven't post any outfit pictures on here for a long time. My last actual outfit post was in June. I've traced it back to three reasons.

1. I can't do self-portraits with my new camera. It just doesn't work, and I've been too lazy to order a remote. And too lazy to find my old point-and-shoot, not to mention that the card for that camera isn't compatible with my Macbook.

2. I love choosing outfits, but since I work with a group of people of my age and interest in clothing, there is less of an urgency to come home and post "look! I got dressed today! In new and exciting ways!" as there was when I was working from home.

3. I love most of my outfits. Because they're me.

I found the more blogging I did, the more I was co-opting other's styles as my own. And now that I'm wearing clothes that genuinely feel like me, I don't feel so inclined to share them. They're not daring, they're not avant-garde, they're me.

Don't get me wrong - every time I wear my maxi dress (which is often, if you ask my mother who almost staged an intervention after only ever seeing me wear it), my new black dress, my awesomely thrifted red pencil skirt, or my animal print wedges (which I promised ShyBiker I'd photograph a long long long time ago, and I'm a horrible person for breaking my word!), I do feel a twinge of guilt and remorse for not sharing my latest thrifting finds. The outfits will likely come back at some point.

But in the meantime, I'm enjoying dressing me for me. And for me, I'm most comfortable confident in more traditional business casual pieces for the work week, and bright colours and cottons on the weekend. And while I loved when I felt bold enough to experiment wearing a rainbow of bright colours to work, or making a staunch work outfit adapt for weekends, I didn't always feel like me. And what is a great outfit but a costume, if you don't feel like you?

*Of course, as I write this, I realize that I do sound a bit like a stuck record, having mused much the same here!

4 comments:

  1. What a beautifully written post Cara, I love your take on why you don't feel compelled to share outfit photos everyday (because sometimes I think I do it because of OCD tendencies!) and it's great that you're enjoying dressing for you! That's the way it should be but it's easy to get caught up in trends and what everyone else is wearing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a great thing. I know many of us would probably not dress to the same level that we do without the blog. Many would, but some wouldn't. You don't need the accountability and feedback to feel like you and that's an incredible thing. I've been trying to back off my own blog and find my head this week.

    I have gotten caught up in standards and how I "should" be dressing, but I'm hoping to really start exploring my own style more and be okay that I can't wear pumps and pencil skirts and feel like me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post Cara! One thing Kayla and I learned about blogging is that it's ok to take a break, every outfit doesn't have to be "blogworthy" and sometimes we just don't feel like taking pictures. We dress for us, not the blog. You should dress for you and feel comfortable no matter what you have on! Have a great weekend :) Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blogging has to bring us joy or we shouldn't do it. And there are different ways to approach blogging we can choose among.

    I noticed your absence of outfit-posts but feel it's impolite to comment upon that unless someone brings it up. Your reasons are perfectly sound and it's better to do what you're doing than force it. Blogging met a need in your past; outfit-posts don't meet that need any more; perhaps, the future will supply different needs.

    My only suggestion and request is you consider blogging about things that interest you, rather than disappearing. I'd prefer to read your thoughts on ANYTHING (movies, fashion, life) than come here and see an empty hole. I'd miss you if that happened.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think!