Thursday, January 3, 2013

Five Ingredient Granola

I've been making this recipe for over 6 months now, so I thought I'd better take some pictures so I can remember how to make the awesome goodness.  I'd been searching for some granola bar recipes when Scott and I found we were spending more and more of our limited grocery budget on granola bars... Oatmeal to go for me and Quaker Chewy for him. It's really a waste of money now that I know how easy it is to make them myself! So many recipes out there have limitations on their sites: don't blog; don't pin. It actually turns me off the recipe if you're not willing to share wide scale. Perhaps its because not everyone "links because they love," but I certainly do!


 My recipe is based off of Jessica's recipe on How Sweet It Is. I haven't poked around too much on her site, but from what I've seen, she's funny and, best of all, honest. I mean, who doesn't love to see posts like "Recipe Disasters of 2012"? Her five ingredient granola recipe can be found here, or through my pin:


I always start like Jessica, amassing the usual ingredients. And then I scrounge through my cupboard to find what I can add. You do have to be careful about adding too many ingredients, as your dry to wet mixture ratio will be off. That said, this is an art, not a science, so have fun... and use my secret ingredient to help balanace it out!


My recipe (keep in mind I only use measuring cups for the oatmeal, honey and peanut butter):

Less than 4 cups oatmeal (I never fill my cup measure up to the top)
2 tbsp chia seeds (like Jessica says, great for texture)
2 tbsp flax seed
2 tbsp sunflower seeds
4 tbsp coconut
3/4 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup honey
.... and the special ingredient that my husband must never know about: 1/4 cup apple sauce

If you're using a solid honey/peanut butter, it's best to melt them first in the microwave so they mix in better. We use natural peanut butter that is fairly liquidity, and happened to have liquid honey, so I got to skip this step, making it extra easy.

If you are concerned about exact measurements, remember to grease your 1/2 cup measure before pouring honey in. It will slide out perfectly!


Basically, just mix it all together. I usually mix the dry stuff before I add the wet stuff, but as I said, I "usually" do that. There is really no wrong way to make this! Once it's well mixed, place into a greased pan (9X13 makes thin bars, anything smaller will work as well, it will just be a thicker bar). Remember to press down into the pan to make everything crunch together. You can even use the old butter-on-wax-paper-and-rolling-pin method I love for rice krispie cake.


You can bake these (which would be great if you take Jessica's advice and use any kind of chip in them... I think my husband may force me to make them with butterscotch chips one of these days), but I find they stick together best when they are simply refridgerated for at least 45 minutes. We keep our pan in the fridge both to save counter space, and to keep us from constantly snacking on it!

It comes out to 281 calories per serving (assuming 12 servings); 4.5 grams of fibre and 8.2 grams of protein. I'm no nutritionist, but I think if you add a glass of milk and piece of fruit, you've got yourself a pretty good breakfast!

ETA: This batch came out super crumbly... I think I added too many extras.  It's great for crumbling over yogurt, but if you want more of a bar, try only 3 cups of oats. 

2 comments:

  1. Yum these look pretty good! Wish I wasn't so anti-peanut butter. I wonder if something else might work in that place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, I might just try this! I eat a lot of granola bars because I get super hungry halfway through the morning and afternoon. Plus, Christian would probably eat breakfast more often if there was something like this to grab on his way out the door.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think!