Monday, January 21, 2013

The simple truth

Despite getting rid of 55 articles of clothing last year, my wardrobe did not get any smaller. I dare say it may have even grown, which is weird since I doubt I did as much shopping as I had in previous years.

Nonetheless, with closet limitations in mind, I went shopping. There was a plaid wool skirt I longed for online for months and finally, I was going to buy it. I had birthday money to spend and everything. I could have squealed when I saw it hanging alone, in my size. I picked it up...

... and disappointment set in.

It was thin. It was unlined. It didn't quite have the warm orange tones in it that I swear were there on the website. But I wasn't going to let my preconceived notions of how it looked on the hangar affect my judgement. I tried it on.

It was dowdy. Definitely a couple inches too long. Oh, and still thin and still unlined.

I took a picture and sent it to my sister and mother. They didn't seem blown away.



I fussed around with where the waist was sitting to see if hemming the skirt up a few inches made a difference. Around 3 inches higher, it finally started to work.

And then I realized: "Started to work" didn't mean that it did work. It was merely an improvement on something I wasn't crazy about afterall.

But I had wanted it for so long. I hmm'd and hawed as I walked out of the change room. I asked Scott's opinion. He said it was fine. I likely snarked at him. He likely handed me a cup of decaf white chocolate mocha from Starbucks to at least up my blood sugar levels. And then he said something that made sense:

"If you don't love it, don't buy it"

Years of thrifting has turned me into a "make it work" kind of girl, and while that's great when money is tight and you just "need" that one item, and the price seems good, but when you finally have an opportunity to invest money into your wardrobe, why make sacrifices?

We walked straight out of the store and into the next where I found pieces that I loved. Sure, I had to spend a little more and go a little further outside my pre-planned comfort zone, but in the end, it was worth it!

My new goal for keeping my closet under control? If I don't love it, don't buy it!

6 comments:

  1. That is my motto. With a closet full of clothes, adding anything new means that I have to love it! Good for you for not settling. Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great motto - one I need to stick to more. I've been in the "make it work" mode for a long time and it results in me not wearing something more than once or twice. It's not worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome new philosophy! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! That goes for everything else in life too: if you don't love it, don't buy it (or spend time with that person, or take that job, or eat that food, etc).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that way of shopping. My mantra is "If it doesn't make you want to dance, don't buy it". It's part of my whole philosophy of only having lovely things in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea. I'll admit, it's a cute skirt, but it's not quite you.

    I've had to also stop the 'make it work' thing. My closet was bursting! But I've taken maybe a trunkful of stuff off to donate since December. My closet is only full of stuff I really love. (or think I do right now).

    I'm really glad you found some stuff. It takes some work to find stuff that you *really* love, but honestly? Cute stuff exists. Search hard enough and you'll keep finding stuff you like. But just because you do like it, doesn't mean you love it or can't live without it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think!