Friday, February 22, 2013

Getting painted

On July 20th, I'm going to run 5km while people throw paint at me.

When I'd scanned running websites for local races this summer, I thought: "these are all boring. I can't get myself excited for these! My first run has to be memorable".

And then my sister posted an invite to her team for the Color Me Rad run. And I was in.



Doing what you likely shouldn't do, I decided to make sure it was physically possible to run 5k before signing up. I've been a semi-regular gym-goer for maybe a month, a month and a half now. Definitely not in top running shape yet. But that 5K didn't kill me.

I didn't make my goal for that initial run (33 minutes -- having only done interval training to a max distance of 4km, I shouldn't be surprised), but I wasn't that far off... 36:13.

Over the next 5 months, I want to do the full run every 2 weeks, transitioning from treadmill to track to road, posting my time with the hope that will keep me motivated to keep shaving off minutes. While jumping into the full run maybe wasn't the best way to start training, it did give me a realistic idea of how much work I have ahead of me... and how my body responds (there is an email in to my athletic therapist, I believe with the subject line: "am I too young for double hip and knee replacements?").

My goal for race day? That day isn't about winning our heat. It isn't about setting a personal best. It's about finally completing my first race, doing something I enjoy, and getting pelted with coloured powder.

... but getting into the 20-25 minute range would be pretty awesome.

3 comments:

  1. Good for you! I have known people that ran this race and it looks like a blast. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way. I haven't done a race (yet), but I'd want it to be super fun and memorable. I've seen photos from color runs and they look awesome and silly! Good luck and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister-in-law and nieces did this run in Rhode Island and loved it. In pictures, they were laughing and happy. I hope you have the same experience.

    The only way I could travel 5k is on my motorcycle. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think!