Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Counting to 30

This last weekend, we celebrated my brother-in-law's 30th birthday. Since it was, afterall, my brother-in-law's party, there was the occasional moment where I was given a few moments to think, having run out of people I knew to talk to.

That's when I realized I was less then 10 months away from turning 30 myself. And I smiled.

While my sister has set the precedent for epic 30th birthday parties, and there is always that obligation to keep up (her family is the local "Jones's" if you will), I doubt my birthday will involve a big party bading farewell to my youth. The reasons for this are two fold: first, I was very blatantly told that this year, my birthday was too close to Christmas and New Years so people didn't see the point in celebrating something else (and as far as I can tell, my birthday won't be any further from these days in the future, so why set myself up for annual disappointment from my friends?). Secondly, I don't see the need to usher out my youth.

Sure, 30 is the new 20, but that's not why I'm anxiously counting down the months. I'm just ready to be fully cemented into adulthood. I'm ready to be done with aimlessly wandering through degree programs, moving, futile attempts at finding a job, desperate attempts to get out of terrible soul sucking jobs, barely making ends meet and relying on the generosity of family when it all hits the fan.

A well stocked emergency fund. RRSPs. A financial plan to build the down payment for a house which will build equity. Lazy Friday nights on the couch. Saturday morning household tasks. I crave these things as I once craved a night of dancing at the bar, four a.m. "philosophical" conversations and a responsibility-free life from my twenties.

I see on Twitter, Facebook, etc., comments of those feeling "old" embarking on their mid-twenties, and I feel I have less and less in common with them. There's an implicit drama in their lives that I'm glad is fading from my mine. The stability that I've now found will hopefully be what characterizes my 30s.

 I will not be having a party to bid farewell to my youth, as I am fairly satisfied I have already left it. We'll still mark the achievement (as random as it actually is) in a meaningful way. It'll likely be a trip for just Scott and I (I am from the persuasion that major trips should be few and far between, first as I hate traveling and second as I feel it makes each one more special) a few weeks after the fact, with likely a family dinner sometime around the date. It'll be entering my 30s a little more subdued, but actually representative of how I tend to live my life.

4 comments:

  1. Nice post. Being in my mid 30's I have never been more happy and content. As we grow older we get much wiser too :) Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 30's have treated me well so far! I'm glad you are looking forward to it, I actually dreaded it for months before hand and once it hit it wasn't that big of a deal at all. I don't know what I was afraid of!

    A trip sounds awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always cranky when people say my birthday is too close to other holidays. I hope you do something special. You only turn 30 once, and I think you've gone through a lot to get there. 30 isn't old, but it is an achievement that you should celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What the heck? People need to get over the fact that your birthday is close to the end-of-the-year holidays. It's a BIRTHDAY. Completely different and completely worthy of its own recognition. At least you and Scott will be doing something nice to celebrate.

    You're going to love your 30s (I sure do!). It's the time when everything seems to fall into place.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think!