Wednesday, December 11, 2013

But is it running?

I love interval training, whether it's body weight tabatas, or treadmill workouts. I also love hearing people's marathon training plans.  Lately, however, it seems the two are intersecting (oh man, does someone ever need to make me a venn diagram for that!)

Are you familiar with 10s and 1s?

I had mentioned it the other week about the woman "running" her first half marathon without even training but running 10s and 1s.

10s and 1s are running for 10 minutes and then walking for 1 minute, repeating this pattern for your desired time or distance. Some people use it as a way to increase their endurance for longer runs, decreasing their walking periods, or increasing the running periods in training for a race. Others use it as a means to delay or prevent injury during a race. Some use it as a means to simply complete the race.

I've been "running" them on my lunch breaks as a way to cover distance without being completely wiped for the rest of the day.

I've been putting "running" when it comes to 10s and 1s in quotations because there is some controversy as to whether it can still be considered "running" if you are not only walking, but planning to walk portions of a race. Traditionalists scoff at people who claim to have "completed a marathon" having done 10s and 1s, since it's not training to complete the entire RUN.

On the other hand, there is plenty of anecdotal evidence that shows that many people
  1. have fewer injuries during the race
  2. complete the race faster
  3. recover sooner
when they complete marathons doing 10s and 1s. And if running is a feat of athleticism, shouldn't achieving those three be a sure sign of a good athlete?

I can see both sides, and I'm not sure which one I agree with.

What are your thoughts? Do 10s and 1s cheapen the term "run" or do they set more realistic and sustainable goals?

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, as someone who's a bit intimidated by running for long periods of time, I think 10s and 1s seem more manageable. Before I pinched a nerve in my back, I was working my way up the opposite way--walking 10 and running 1. 10s and 1s also make sense to me as a former sports player--that's just how games work: you run a bit, you walk a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well when I first started running I started off of this program…actually built up to it. Then I started to feel like a wimp if I stopped at all while running. If I couldn't run it straight then I didn't want to run it. Then I got really sick and didn't run for a long time. Now I just started again and told myself it would be okay to run 10s and 1s.

    I like to push myself more than I should though.

    If someone runs a marathon (or anything else for that matter) of 10s and 1s they still ran a marathon.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you think!